Monday, January 6, 2014

Food For Thought... Literally.


Hello readers!

As promised, I am doing the “fitness part” of my blog. I got a recipe and some overall tips for you to try!

One dish that my moms always use to make for my family was stuffed green bell peppers. Literally, my mouth is watering right now thinking about them. While something may taste delicious, though,  we all know that it isn’t necessarily the healthiest option. Well, on a quest to match the glorious taste of my mom’s cooking and lower the calorie count, I found a great alternative via Pinterest!

Since I mentioned it, I have a couple quick notes about my drug of choice (AKA Pinterest). I use to just get on Pinterest for DIY projects, clothing ideas, beauty tips, ect. I absolutely love it, couldn’t envision life without it. I got so excited when I would find projects to do or a new facemask to try. Now that I’m trying to eat a little healthier and find easy exercises to do, I can incorporate that in to my Pinterest searching! There are thousands of recipes on the site that are easy to prepare and taste amazing. Try it out! I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Easy Stuffed Turkey Peppers

Makes 4 servings, a serving is ½ a pepper.
Calories per serving: 185
Fat: 2.3 grams
Protein: 20.8 grams
Fiber: 1.6 grams

Ingredients:

·      1 lb. lean, ground turkey (I used some that was Italian seasoned)
·      1 clove of garlic, minced
·      ¼ cup white onion, chopped
·      1 tbsp chopped cilantro
·      1 tbsp garlic powder
·      1 tbsp ground cumin
·      salt to taste
·      2 large red bell peppers (I like green, so I used those instead!)
·      1 cup fat free chicken broth
·      ¼ cup tomato sauce
·      1 cup cooked brown rice
·      olive oil
·      shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar)

1. Start off by cooking your rice in a separate dish and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2.  While rice is cooking, add onion, garlic, and cilantro all to a medium sized saucepan with a little bit of olive oil coating the bottom. Sauté for about 2 minutes.

3. Add your ground turkey, salt, cumin, and garlic powder to the pan.

4. Once meat is completely cooked through, add tomato sauce and ½ cup of the chicken broth. Mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes.

5. Next, add the rice.

6. In a medium sized baking dish, place your peppers. They should be chopped in half lengthwise, washed, and without any seeds or stems in them. Add the meat and rice mixture to the inside of the peppers. Pour the remaining ½ cup of chicken broth to the bottom of the dish. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 35 minutes.

7. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese on top and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment